Saturday, October 21, 2023

Sweetest Day

 Today is Sweetest Day, a stupid H*llm*rk Holiday, and I'm hurting.

It's stupid, stupid holiday.

Ken always got my something- chocolate, or flowers.

A night out.

In 2019, when I was with Beth and Effie in Oregon, he had flowers delivered to the home where we were hosted.

In 1980, our first Sweetest Day, he got me a kitten, Jeremiah. Not only our first pet, a real statement that we were our own family. Because of his sister Esther's cat phobia, we weren't "supposed" to have a cat.

He gave me- gave us- a cat.

It's Sweetest Day. Beth is in Oregon, possibly the last time for this particular trip. I am in Illinois with the two kids, now, helping watch over them while she travels.

Especially important, as shortly after Beth left, her spouse Danny tested positive for Covid.

Being useful helps with what I'm feeling.

Being with grandkids helps. 

Sweetest Day doesn't help. At all.


No comments: