Wednesday, April 24, 2013

dream job

This will ramble a bit.

I am thinking and thinking about what my dream job might be.

And feeling like I am running out of time.

Recently, I have been working at the local public charter school. I looked it up, and by working part-time I have accumulated 2 years towards the 10 years that would make me fully vested for retirement benefits.

I would like to "retire" at some point.

I would like to continue to have income.

As I have noted in another post, I have ended up working at jobs that I thought I had rejected.

At different times, I have thought of being/worked towards becoming:

1. writer
2. actor
3. director
4. journalist
5. midwife
6. college professor
7. rabbi
8. cantor
9. lawyer

Okay, the last three I thought were kind of cool but I hadn't actually worked towards being any of them.

I've actually been paid, although never a living wage, for 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6. I've done some of the functions of 7, 8, and 9.

But I've never felt like I fit in.

As I am thinking of the college professor type jobs, my only real shot at scoring one means that I need to write and present at conferences.

To work full time and score something more like a living wage where I am right now (the public school system), I would pretty much have to go back to college for a degree of some sort in education.

Honestly, I feel so PhinisheD.

What to do?

More rambling as I think of it.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Lisa, you are among the most talented, perceptive, intelligent people I know. And like you, many are highly educated, yet underemployed, with traditional retirement age looming. The fear of being PhinisheD (ah, never saw that one before) is perhaps the greatest obstacle of all.

Please keep creating, and dreaming, and looking about. Something will happen for you, maybe several things, I am sure of it. Leave yourself open for the unexpected, too.

- D