Thursday, November 18, 2010

They're hiring at Bob Evans

They're hiring at Bob Evans, the breakfast restaurant. All shifts. With benefits.

I wonder if that is a hopeful sign for the economy?

It is a measure of the low barometer of my mood that I thought about it for a while.

I could apply.

I was a good-- no, scratch that,GREAT waitress at one time. And I made good money.

I am feeling adequate or less-than at all my current occupations.

Discouraged.

Overweight.

*sigh*

In a little while, I am off to work as a substitute teacher for a half day. I am a far, far better teacher than most of those I sub for, and I have a lot more education.

But I don't have education *in* education, so -- their jobs are safe, because I'm not qualified to replace them.

I'm teaching at university in a subject I love -- but failing to get the students engaged. Dear hubby says, that's the nature of students today! Perhaps it is harder to engage students today, but an excellent teacher should still be able to engage students.

I am gripped once more by the fear of mediocrity.

3 comments:

Beth said...

But in both places - the school and the university - you're teaching. You're invited back whenever they're able to extend the invitation, because you keep making such a good impression. You've inspired many previous students, cast members and children, and will continue to do so.

I do understand those feelings... I technically couldn't get hired as a teacher, OR a counselor, despite years of experience of teaching in various settings AND holding an MSW! It's a strange system, the qualification game - one that often rewards mediocrity. Hey! Maybe that means that feeling thwarted by the strange system is NOT a good indicator of mediocrity; usually a better indicator of a superiority that "does not compute" with system regulations. URGH.

Feeling your pain, sending love, and know that you are above and beyond all of this!

Anonymous said...

J'ai appris des choses interessantes grace a vous, et vous m'avez aide a resoudre un probleme, merci.

- Daniel

dramamama said...

Je suis heureuse de vous avoir aidé.
:-)