Saturday, May 18, 2024

May 17- Updates on Stressors and The 95th Anniversary Event Part 1.

 This was a long day that accomplished much. A lot of stress, but on balance a good day.

The day before, Thursday, I called my brother CE in case he was available. I described the water problem. He said it should be a relatively easy fix, and one that he could do for me. He said he'd come over the next morning, Friday May 17.

Whew.

On Thursday also I worked my fanny off with other committee members for our big-deal 95th+ celebration: table cloths, table settings, storing excess coat racks and whiteboards, making things ready for a banquet and special worship service. LOTS of steps, exercise, work.

We worked extra hard, because as I noted in a previous post, I had learned that Ken's close friend JH was in the hospital, so his wife KH wasn't available to help as planned. AND, once I was at temple to start working, we learned that SH, who was also going to help, was not available because her mom was in the hospital...

So.

Friday.

My brother came early. I had coffee ready. We went downstairs. He said, yep, this is fixable, I can do it. Then he showed me where the bypass was and turned the valves and voilà I had running water! Hard water, of course, and I still can't do laundry until the pump is replaced, but it will happen. He's coming back Monday.

He left, and so did I, for my mammogram appointment. That went smoothly. Uncomfortable as always, but it went smoothly.

I had enough time to pop in to my house and walk my dog before heading to the temple to open up for the flower delivery. Once again, I was the only one really available with a key and a code to open the building. 

Flowers were supposed to be delivered at 2:00 pm. As I was driving, GPS said I would arrive at 1:41 PM. I was debating getting a drive through sandwich or something because I was HUNGRY but I decided no, I would wait. After I let people in maybe I would sneak out and grab something.

I arrived at 1:42 PM. 

The flowers, supposed to arrive at 2:00 PM, arrived at 1:51. 

Good thing I passed up the sandwich. I was the only one in the building to let them in.


The flowers were lovely. These arrangements above went in the sanctuary. The photo below shows the table settings we worked so hard on the day before, now completed with the floral arrangements.



Others of the committee arrived at 2:00 PM, and once I was confident most bases were covered, I left to go home, walk my dog, and get dressed and made up.

On the way home (around 2:30) I grabbed that sandwich.

I walked the dog, and made sure she had water, and got dressed and made up. I printed out a guide to the service so that I could stage manage. I printed out the most current table assignments (I truly despise table assignments, and I ended up doing the table assignments and also revising them because... that's how it fell out!). I headed over to the temple.

I helped punch out name tags.  I wasn't originally scheduled to sit at the greeter table, but I landed there and it was good that I did. We learned that JH and KH weren't coming, due to JH's hospital adventures. Another person confirmed they wouldn't be able to make it. Coming in to the event, we had 3 open seats of 64 place settings. These cancellations gave us 3 more. 

We ended up having 6 add ons!

Since I had the list of table assignments, I was able to place the newcomers efficiently. 

WHEW.

Dinner started more or less on time. We entered the sanctuary more or less on time. 

The service was lovely. 

The Oneg after the service found people visiting and table hopping and hobnobbing for over an hour. 

WHEW.

Now I need to practice my songs for tomorrow (The Event Part 2), so that I won't freak out, then get through tomorrow and hopefully find a more peaceful path through the next days and weeks. 



No comments: