Wednesday, May 15, 2024

No water

 So I thought it was just the basement pump. My laundry is in the basement, so there is a pump to the water out of the laundry tub (when the washing machine spins out the water). The water has to pump up. We've been in the house almost 35 years, and I think this is the second pump, and it's had some patchwork repairs. 

So when I saw that there was standing water in the laundry tub, I figured oh well, it needs another patch job. 

But I couldn't get it to manually turn on. 

And it smelled sort of funny.

Uh-oh. 

I figured the pump is burned out. I'd heard it running more than usual. 



It's old. I guess I will have to replace it. It's going to be $200-$300 and I will have to see if I can pay my nephew or (gulp) find a handy person.

I unplugged the pump and the washing machine and the dryer and the water softener. 

Then I read up on it, and I shouldn't turn off the water softener. I should just bypass it. 

I spent a few hours trying to track down the model number of the water softener, then trying to figure out from the diagrams etc how to shift it to bypass.

On the way, I have duly noted that the water softener is WAY past due for maintenance- change of filter AT LEAST. 

Also, the entire laundry room is so dirty. Low priority, haven't been down there, I'm depressed, ya da ya da.

I *tried* to figure out which valves were to be turned which way to do the by pass mode. 

And now I have no water at all.

It's late, I have an overbooked schedule for the next several days AND I'm supposed to go out of town next week for a week.

I don't know if I have accidentally turned off the water entirely (I don't think so), or if a circuit is blown (I will try to check next), or if (PLEASE NO) the well pump has burned out. I don't THINK so- why would it coincide with the little pump under the laundry tub?

Anyway, it is now approaching midnight, I just want to cry. I am hoping that the laundry room won't flood- if the water comes back on, and I *haven't* got the water softener on bypass. I am hoping this is a quick fix that isn't too expensive.

The good news is that I have several gallons of distilled water so that my dog and I can drink water. 

Tomorrow morning I will see if the outside faucets work. I will make some phone calls. 

I am really tired, and I don't want to have to figure this stuff out by myself. 


No comments: