Thursday, May 16, 2024

I want to quit it all

 Today's update: I still have no water in the house. I have checked the outside faucet, and it still has water. So I am hopeful it is not a well problem.

Caveat: I didn't run the outside faucet for LONG. I want to get a bucket first, so I can capture the water.

I have lots of distilled water. I maintain several gallons so that I don't run out for my CPAP machine. If the outside water is fine, my dog and I are fine for a few days.

Here are my major scream issues:

House: no water, messy basement and utility room, no trusted experts. I'm hoping some friends and / or my nephew can help me diagnose before I bring in professionals and start that expense.

Timing: This weekend is the big-deal 95th anniversary celebration for my temple. I am committed to work on it all this afternoon, all tomorrow afternoon/ evening, and all Sunday afternoon. Then, due to health concerns for my family down south, I have travel coming up next week. I have limited time windows to get this fixed!

OTHER stresses: I still have heard nothing regarding my employment for the Fall academic courses at either Byzantine U or Third University. I have sent my fourth and final email to Third U, stating that if I haven't heard by May 25, I will assume I have no work upcoming there. 

Byzantine U is more complicated. I have a contract. I've been receiving ZERO responses from the Interim Chair there. I am the highest seniority Part Time Faculty there, and I should have been offered a course this Spring and next Fall, if any were available for Part Time Faculty.

Checking the schedule of courses, I have noted that both Spring and Fall courses in Intro to Theatre (for which I am eligible) have been assigned to another Part Time Faculty.


I am angry and frustrated. I feel I am due the courtesy of a response. I don't want to work in a hostile environment, and I don't want to kick out another PTF who may be struggling as well. On the other hand, I am mindful of and grateful for the work the Union has done to provide some measure of job security for part time faculty. I don't want my contract, or any contract, to be ignored.


I truly am uncertain about how to proceed with this. 


MORE stress: I just found out via email that another one of Ken's poker group- his tightest friend group for more than 25 years- has been hospitalized.

Once I wrap up this post, I'm going to get dressed, try to clean out the laundry room, and send up some signal flares to friends for help diagnosing the water/ pump/ issue. I'll head out to work at temple, then say SCREW IT and go out for a while with my sister.

I can only do what I can do.


No comments: