Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Gallery

On Friday, August 2, 2019, I went with my daughter to a gallery closing. The exhibit closing was art work by survivors of sexual violence.

I wish I'd gone earlier, so that I could experience more of the art before the presentations by the artists.

What stood out to me:

The first work was a video tape of a pole-dance dramatic art performance. It was powerful and moving and I wished I'd been able to see it live. The artist, a female veteran, was there to frame the work before it was projected for us.

The black and white photo prints of the only male-presenting artist. He spoke eloquently (although a bit too long) about his work, and how it had been banned, which actually meant that it ended up being sought out/ seen more frequently (if I understood him correctly). He spoke about making his transition from victim to survivor.

The artist that I was there to see-- my son's love-- because her explanation was felt and honest and articulate and moving.

Most of all, the hand I held next to me, when stories were told too close to her own, the nodding heads and understanding of the experiences of the survivors...


because that happened to them, too...

http://www.agitatorgallery.com/event/closing-reception-artist-talk-hard-to-kill-artwork-by-survivors-of-sexual-violence/

 

No comments: