Thursday, October 17, 2024

Full moon musical

I was having trouble sleeping last night. I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water. There was a full moon, and the moonlight was pouring in through the sliding glass door to my deck.



I stepped out on the deck to see the full moon. It was beautiful; hiding in the trees. I never have any success in photographing the moon. I didn't even try- just enjoyed the peaceful moment and the beauty.

Then I heard a yip, then a howl. It took me a moment to get my phone recording- but this is the chorus I heard:



I am trying to upload the video here. I missed the first solo howl, that came from the southeast. The clip above has the choral part of the coyote cantata. I heard later, and I'm not sure you can hear it in the video, a solo howl from the west- that was later answered by the original coyote chorus.

At least, I think it was the original chorus. It was from the same general area, with the same general volume.

I think. My hearing and placing what I hear in the right physical area is not what it once was!

I will miss this. I like seeing the deer (when I'm not driving) and the turkeys meandering through the fields or across the road. I loved the time a charm of finches arose in my backyard, startled from their feasting on thistle down.

Yesterday, a hawk circled and circled around the pond or marsh that is beyond my fenced in yard. It was so close.

I love the birds around the bird feeder in winter. I love the hummingbirds around flowers in summer. 

I looked at a house today, a condominium that could possibly be it. It's closer to all my kids. Closer by an hour to the kids in Illinois and the kid in South Carolina. Closer by almost an hour to the kid in Michigan- which means it's two minutes away instead of 60! I am asking my child to ask their partner if it would be okay for me to be that close. I don't want to crowd anyone.

It's town living, not country living. It's a big change. Human neighbors sharing walls and common green space. Fewer four footed neighbors serenading me at midnight.


I want community. I also want agency. I want natural beauty, and I also want some order. 

I don't know what the future holds. I don't even know who I will be. 

I've posted a fair amount in the past year or so, much of it navigating my grief at the death of my beloved.

I want to begin to post about my life, going forward. 

These are, again, meandering thoughts. Maybe I will come back and revise. Maybe I will delete entirely.

For now I will publish- partly to see if the video worked!


No comments: